2015/09/02

GUILLOTINE a game made in 72 hours


Click HERE to play!
(click on the game in Newgrounds)

Last weekend me, Iñaki and Gonzalo made our second game for Ludum Dare 33. The theme of this Game Jam was "You are the Monster".

Iñaki and me went to the jam and Gonzalo worked at home. This time the place was superb, a class of Area school in Donostia.

At the beginning we were quite lost after the first brainstorming. We had some vague ideas about a Frankenstein and angry villagers. The next day, we decided that we were going to make a platformer with puzzles with a headless guy as the protagonist. The headless guy could steal heads and abilities. We mixed that idea with Hammer Films and classic horror films aesthetic.


I like the decision we made about the color... to remove it! I worked faster this way. I Added and "old film" filter too (just 4 frames of darker corners and dust like spots).


In general I am really proud of the executioner. The story is that after the firts guillotine the citizens no longer need an executioner, so they chop his head and someone steals it. Help the poor executioner to find his head!

I LOVE the chicken head!!


Blazing Skull head. (or Ghost Rider head)


Key head. For some reason we couldn´t add the attack animation.


Piromaniac Skeleton.


I made every pixel you can see, Iñaki Vazquez programmed everything using Construct 2 and made 90% of the mechanics and puzzles, and Gonzalo Sardón created the amazing music and sounds. 

I have to say that the game is better that I thought. May be is not an awesome game, but we made it in less than 72 hours! (I had to work). I think the ideas and mechanics have some potential. When we added the music, the game gained a LOT of atmosphere. Now the game shows a crazy, dark humor and horror setting.

It was a really hard weekend but we met a lot of new awesome friends, and we learned a lot!

Special thanks to Edu Verzinski, who gave as the idea of the introduction scene at the beginning the game, and to PINTXO DEVEPOPERS for organizing an incredible game jam and making possible the best weekend of this year.  


We plan to make a better version of GUILLOTINE! So if you like Kirby and Metroidvania games, wait to see a better, bigger and longer game, with TONS OF NEW CRAZY HEADS!!!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario